Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

(Katz)Marble Cake French Toast and Vanilla Saffron Salted Caramel with Brûlée Figs

Happy Sunday Gluten Free Kids!


I really love Sundays.Why? One Word. BRUNCH! I became addicted while living in Madison, WI and partaking in this delightful pastime with some very dear friends. However, we are on a tight student budget these days in Las Cruces and brunching at home is so much more budget friendly.


Decadent and blissful is what we had for brunch today. Gluten free doesn't have to be tasteless or boring!


 Today I started out with a marble cake made by Katz (katzglutenfree.com) I dipped the cake slices in a mixture of 2 eggs (you can use egg substitute), almond milk, and vanilla bean paste. I grilled these for a few minutes.


I then cut in half and sugar coated the figs and brûléed them. (use a brûlée torch or if you don't have one you can sear them on a very hot pan for a minute) Figs are such a lovely looking fruit but this just transforms them into divine!


I made my caramel by adding two tablespoons of cane sugar into a hot sauce pan. I let this hang out and get toasty for a few minutes until starting to boil, then I added some vanilla bean paste, saffron threads, 2 Tbsp of butter, and a pinch of salt. I allowed all these guys to hang out in the pan for a minute or two getting to know each other and then I added almond milk (about a half a cup). I brought these guys back up to a rolling boil for two minutes and then let cool.


It is a great way to make a gluten free product work for you and a quick 30 minute gluten free breakfast or brunch!


Now for a bike ride to work off those calories!




Peace,
Angee

No comments:

Post a Comment